I benefitted from old-school-rigorous teaching in the use of English (in the days when the semicolon was revered but before the bullet-point had been invented).
Here are some examples of my ability to write in different styles – academic, journalistic, even occasionally humorous.
- Cycling [Vol 7, Issue 7, 2012-07-16]
- Exposing fakes [Vol 7, Issue 1, 2012-01-23]
- Inventions to help inventors [Vol 6, Issue 10, 2011-10-17]
- Pet technologies [Vol 6, Issue 7, 2011-07-11]
- Minimising risk [Vol 5, Issue 13, 2010-09-11]
(Nominated for a Professional Publishers’ Association Award)
- Football [Issue 8, 2010-06-02]
- Innovoting [Issue 6, 2010-04-24]
- Snowed under with ideas [Issue 21, 2009-12-05]
- Helping kludgers [Issue 20, 2009-11-21]
- Inventing for the disabled [Issue 17, 2009-10-07]
- Mobile phones [Issue 12, 2009-07-08]
- Medical devices [Issue 5, 2009-03-14]
- The future of toys [Issue 3, 2009-02-14]
- Weird and Wonderful Gadgets and Inventions [Issue 21, 2008-12-06]
- Wall-E [Issue 18, 2008-10-25]
- Rat trap [Issue 14, 2008-08-09]
- It never rains but it pours [Issue 10, 2008-06-07]
- Banking on railways [Issue 6, 2008-04-12]
- Less lees [Issue 3, 2008-02-23]
- Winged mirror
- Ghosts of Christmas future
Project management articles at Tech Republic
- Imagine the features of an ideal PM tool [2003-02-19]
- Objects for projects: OOP’s domination of procedural programming [2003-02-13]
- Tame these 10 types of techies [2003-02-07]
- How stupid questions can lead to smart answers [2003-02-06]
- Scavenge resources when cuts threaten to derail your project [2003-02-05]
- How to help your team focus on details, avoid errors [2003-01-30]
- Three top tips for surviving open source projects [2003-01-23]
- How to respond when clients make things difficult [2003-01-22]
- What’s senior management’s view of your project? [2003-01-17]
- Promote project management’s image [2003-01-16]
- Simple tool can help evaluate innovative opportunities [2003-01-09]
- Transform project impossible into project plausible [2003-01-08]
- Tidy up loose ends with a ‘project amnesty’ [2002-12-19]
- Use forensics to analyze a failed project [2002-12-18]
- How to keep your team focused on results [2002-12-12]
- Are self-organizing projects right around the corner? [2002-12-05]
- Welcome to your new job in HR [2002-11-21]
- Is it time to change your project management tool? [2002-11-14]
- So many conferences, so little time [2002-11-07]
- A feasibility study: Can you manage it? [2002-10-31]
- Decisions, decisions: Make them timely, wisely, and responsibly [2002-10-24]
- Improve client relations by dispelling PM myths [2002-10-17]
- Revive a beached project without losing your cool [2002-10-10]
- Is your career still on the critical path? [2002-10-03]
- Use an inventive approach when working with ‘Creatives’ [2002-09-19]
- Safety-critical projects: Can formal methods help? [2002-09-12]
- Build a release checklist to track software development [2002-09-05]
- Manage your time as well as you manage your project [2002-08-29]
- True confessions: What’s your biggest project management mistake? [2002-08-22]
Project management articles at Builder.com
- Object Lessons: the State of the Art
- Architecting the Future of Information
- The Renaissance Architecture of Information
- Applied Intelligence: The New Breed of Business Application
- Building the Backbone of Business Intelligence
- Object Lessons: The Future of OO Design
- On loving ‘Le Mans’: a guest post at that elusive clarity.
- There’s an interview with me at www.thatelusiveclarity.com.
- “Since St John’s” a short piece for the St John’s College Alumni/Development blog
- Some personal pieces can be found at pruck.com.
- I have, surprisingly, had this poem accepted for publication in Red Squirrel’s Split Screen anthology, edited by Andy Jackson.
- P.R. Andrews, “Constructing Consciousness“, Generation 5.
- P.R. Andrews, K. Cornwell and T.D. Patten, “Heat transfer in a reboiler with a rotated-square tube bundle”, Seventh All-Union Heat and Mass Transfer Conference, Minsk, 1984.
- P.R. Andrews, Ph.D. Thesis, “Boiling on staggered and in-line tube bundles”, Heriot-Watt University, 1985.
- K. Cornwell, J.G. Einarsson and P.R. Andrews, “Studies on boiling in tube bundles”, Paper FB03, 8th International Heat Transfer Conference, San Francisco, 1986.
- P.R. Andrews and K. Cornwell, “Cross-sectional and longitudinal heat transfer variations in a reboiler tube bundle section”, Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Service (Harwell Laboratory) Research Symposium, paper RS680, 1986.
- P.R. Andrews and K. Cornwell, “Cross-sectional and longitudinal heat transfer variations in a tube bundle section”, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 65, 127-130, 1987.
- P.R. Andrews, “Dimensional surveys – a feasibility study on a subsea metrology system using inertial-navigation technology”, paper presented at the Society for Underwater Technology International Conference, Aberdeen, 1989.
- P. Andrews and F. Campbell, “Images at the blind spot”, Nature, vol. 353, pp.308, 1991.
- F.W. Campbell and P.R. Andrews, “The role of spatial frequency in the perception of colours”, Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, 12(1) 1992 (abstract).
- P.R. Andrews and F.W. Campbell, “Why are we unaware of the blind spot produced by the optic disc?”, Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics,
- F.W. Campbell and P.R. Andrews, “Motion reveals visual spatial defects”, Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, 12(2) 1992.
- P.R. Andrews, “Complex patterns; simply recognised”, in 1991 Lectures in Complex Systems, ed. L. Nadel and D. Stein, Santa Fe Institute Studies in the Sciences of Complexity, Lecture Volume IV, 353-371, Addison Wesley, 1992.
- P. Andrews, “Implications for machine vision of a natural recognition algorithm”, US Army Research Institute, Cambridge 6881-RB-06, 25.8.92 1992.
- N. Smeulders, F.W. Campbell and P.R. Andrews, “The role of delineation and spatial frequency in the perception of the colours of the spectrum”, Vision Research, July 1993.
- P. Andrews, “In search of shape”, presented at Proceedings of the 4D Dynamics Conference, DeMontfort University, 1995.
- M. Turner, J. Blackledge and P. Andrews, Fractal Geometry in Digital Imaging. London: Academic Press, 1998.
- P. Andrews, “Biometrics: the mathematics of identification”, presented at Second IMA Conference on Image Processing Mathematical Methods, Algorithms and Applications, DeMontfort University, 1998
- P. Andrews, “Foveolar pattern recognition”, MSc dissertation, Cambridge University, 2000
- P. Andrews, “Quantitative answers to qualia problems”, submitted to 2nd IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Conference, Reading University, UK September 2003.
- Patent Applications: UK 0408421.6 and UK 0408422.4 2005.
- P. Andrews, “Smartsoot”, Adjunct Proceedings, European Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 2006 (highly commended).
- UK Patent application number GB1316494.2 A low-cost flatpack furniture assembly tool.
- UK Patent application number GB1404948.0 Tool incorporating a coupling device.